Friday, October 7, 2011

Ah, God Is Good.


October 6, 2011
So I’m currently writing outside on a picnic table at Camp Arnes, with people from my site swinging on the swings, throwing a football, and lying on the grass together. It’s truly beautiful watching from the sidelines writing it all down, I love his community. I didn’t think I would as much as I do right now. We have a great speaker, like seriously a great speaker here with us. His name is Gerry from Soul Sanctuary Church in Winnipeg, he is the pastor there and he is so challenging. He’s quite intimidating at times, and he has a very firm way of speaking. I love it though, I feel compelled by his words every day and I really want to listen. I love it. I was thinking sometime in December when I’m home I will stop by the church for the Sunday morning service, and see if some of the local Outtatown students in my site would like to join me. Hearing about his church it sounds super neat, and somewhere I would feel comfortable. He says it’s a rock and roll church, haha….I LOVE THAT.  His last session with us, was mind blowing almost. He talked all about culture, and the world we live in today. It was crazy, he’s like 40 something, and he knew everything. Had so much insight, and so many times we think that older folks don’t understand us as teenagers, and youth adults. Crazy, he spoke right to us like he was one of us. He knew more about my culture than I did. I’m a little overwhelmed now; because I’m so worried to raise children someday…I understand I got raised in this culture. But it’s a scary place; there is so much media around us all the time, and so many messages being fed to us. And all of those messages pretty much promote an unhealthy lifestyle. Ugh. Too much.
            In other news, last night we had a talent show. It was super funny and ridiculous, and if you are my friend on Facebook I’ll most likely post videos from it. There was so many ridiculous antics, including two girls dancing inside of one sleeping bag, boys eating like 10 cookies…without their arms and two girls behind them acting as their arms. If you didn’t already know, I’m a classical singer, so I sang a song called Taylor the Latté Boy. It’s by Kristin Chenoweth, she has been on Glee multiple times she played Gilenda on Broadway in the musical Wicked. She is amazin’. Just sayin’. So it was really fun, and I got great feedback from my performance, I made it seem like I was going to tell them a story. I got everyone to gather in close like story time with Tedi, they all sat close cross-legged in front of me, and I looked at them, and started to sing. It’s a really funny song, with the need for some singing power. Which I gave, believe me. : )
The weather has been so amazing lately, so warm, in October!! It’s made me so happy and content. I’m way better than I was before. I remember when I called my mum, and I cried because I felt alone and I didn’t feel comfortable in the community. Now I’m so much more confident in myself, and I can be myself. I started to fall into the background at the beginning, allowing my personality fall away because of the fear that people wouldn’t accept me for who I Am. Now, I know they will, and I’m not afraid to be crazy. Because, gee wills I’m crazy. Ah, God is Good. 


 Small Group Fire :)
                                        
Fall Has Come!
                                                                
  What a Beautiful Creation
                                            

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Kelsi sang Taylor the Latté Boy! Love that song. I'm glad you're starting to feel more comfortable in your community and with being yourself! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete