Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Most Difficult, But Beautiful Experience Yet.


September 22, 2011
            Alright, so. It’s been a while since I have written, partially because we went on a canoe trip in which electronics were exiled…We have been pretty darn busy doing reflections, unpacking, doing laundry, and starting with a new speaker. The canoe trip was out at Pioneer Camp on Shoal Lake in Ontario, and it was a trying but fun time indeed. There were crazy, and I mean crazy winds on the first day and we did about 13ish kilometers of canoeing. Our site was split up into two groups, however due to the wind our whole site ended up meeting by fluke at the same island campsite. We had a huge gathering that night, with lazy man porgies for dinner (which I must say I never would have eaten if I wasn’t so tired, wet, and hungry). The next day was way better weather with close to no wind, and a lucky meeting with the Guatemala site that was also portaging their canoe’s at the same time, just in the opposite direction out of Canoe Lake. So to make matters easier…we just switched canoes! So great, no need for any heavy canoe lugging! Then it was off to our campsite on Canoe Lake to make stir-fry and set up camp. It was truly beautiful on Canoe Lake, our site was perfectly positioned on the shore for the sunset to be in view. The next day was out of Canoe Lake after a bushwhacking hike up a hill (a rather large hill), we had lunch at the top and the view was so breath taking.  We then portaged back into Shoal Lake (not easy, I hate carrying canoes), and a couple kilometer paddle to our site. The next morning was raining and yucky, but luckily we only had to out on the water until 10 o’clock, and then we were back at Pioneer Camp. A delicious meal of (real cheese…not processed) grilled cheese sandwiches and soup, epically good.  There were some super highs and lows on the trip for sure, but it all pushed me to be way more thankful for everything I have, even here at camp away from home and constantly surrounded by people.
            Which I must say, no matter how thankful I am it is quite difficult. I’m not having the best day of my life for sure, and being around so many people with such strong personalities is not easy. However we have a new speaker named Wendy and she is really great, she is speaking on Peace, Conflict Resolution, and Reconciliation. She is a really great speaker, quite passionate about what she is teaching. She really enjoys group work and that’s how these two topics connect. Working in large groups often with so many people with differing personalities and temperaments has taken a toll on me. I can’t escape it though, so I guess I’m just going to have to deal with it.  I’m also struggling to find my place in the group a little bit, and trying to find how I fit within this whole group atmosphere is something I’m sure will come with time…but I hope it comes soon.
            Funny Story of the Blog: So, one of our guides on the canoe trip name was Rob, and his sister Liz was our other guide. At first they looked boring compared to the other guide (who was CRAZY), and I was a touch disappointed. However, as the trip went on I realized how much I loved Liz, how funny she was and her laugh was simply the best.  So, on with the funny story, notice how I haven’t said much about Rob yet. Well, the first night back at Camp Arnes we all sat down and talked about our highs and lows during the trip. I had already said my highs and lows, and so had most other people. Then Luke mentioned another high moment for him were Rob calls (Rob calls is Rob’s way of waking us up, calling us back to things, anything really. It’s this loud scream type holler). Then I said “ I think another high for me was just Rob!”. That may not seem that funny, but everyone knew what I was saying. He was such a good-looking man it wasn’t even funny, everyone was thinking it…but no one had the guts to say it but me. There was a touch of hysterical laugher after my comment, no biggie.



            We have our Urban Plunge in Winnipeg from Sunday until Tuesday, I’m pretty sure will just be homeless during the day and be patrons and Siloam Mission (Winnipeg Soup Kitchen), and then we sleep in a church basement downtown. Not going to lie, I’m scared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment